Configuring 1+1 Backup by High Availability (HA)

we will test it in 8.1.1 if available.

1 Like

@Venn,

Special 8.1.1 is available for the X series devices except B20X.

Regards,
Rolandas

1 Like

Hi i’d like to check 2 things:

1. do i need to configure anything on the switch that is downstream from the 2 peplink to receive the vrrp heartbeats?
  2. if there is a physical link issue between the switch and the master peplink, does that mean the slave will come us master and take over?

Hi @clarissa.

1. No
  2. Likely yes. VRRP won’t know that’s it a switch issue and will assume the master is kaput.
1 Like

Hi @Rick-DC , i see!
Thanks for the prompt response!

what if the link in blue (wan1 from the diagram in the tips) is the one that goes down? example a faulty cable. the peplink will assume that wan1 is down. what if i have some policies that are enforced to take only wan1 connection out?

any way to increase HA for this scenario?

Hi. If WAN 1 dies the routers will not “switch” as there is no fault detected via VRRP.
So, that’s where Peplink shines – your load will be transferred/split/etc to the remaining healthy WAN(s). WAN Health checks and Outbound Policies are your friends here.
To protect against WAN failures the best solution is simply more of them – ideally diverse paths (e.g., not two cable or DSL Modems from the same provider.)

Does that make sense?

1 Like

Hi @Rick-DC , yeah that makes sense! i understand that’s indeed a beauty of Peplink. However i’m asking this because my customer has a particular outbound policy that forces the traffic out only wan 1 for Guests! so that makes the single link vulnerable to failure but i guess in that sense it can’t be avoided then right? since they don’t want to use the link sharing functionality of peplink!

Hi clarissa,

use an prioty outbound rule for the Guest VLAN. Prio 1 is WAN 1 and Prio 2 e.g. WAN 2. So the will use WAN 1 as long as it is available.
If they don’t want to share WAN 2 you can also select “drop paket if not available”

Regards
Dennis

1 Like

Sure, that’s a requirement that is both common and reasonable. @dennis.hofheinz’s suggestion is the way we’d do it if we wanted to the guests to fail-over to WAN2. But suppose WAN2 is really not all that good and the owner may not want to share the limited bandwidth with guests. You could also set the guests to “enforced” [to WAN1] – which would keep them from using WAN2.

I’m sure you’ve already studied the various OBP algorithms – they’re really well thought-out and very powerful. (“SD-WAN” at its best! :grinning:)

1 Like

Hi @dennis.hofheinz and @Rick-DC , Great Advice! Exactly what i needed to know.
Thank you so much!:slight_smile:

1 Like