Cascading Balance units

We are in the desert with Microtik routers pointing to the nearest LTE towers almost 10 KM away. I have 6 LTE connections; I was wondering if I could cascade Qty (2) Balance one core each with 3 wans, into the balance 380 - If I can get the 380 working I will have ab
out 50 users max. Total bandwidth is 300-400 as each WAN tests out at 50-60 mbps.

I assume you are using the usb wan port with an ethernet dongle, for the third wan of the balance core ?
You could load balance the 3 wans using a outbound policy.
Example network config
Balance 380 LAN 10.0.0.1/24
Balance core one A LAN 10.0.0.10/24
Balance core one B LAN 10.0.0.20/24
Link Lan1 of the balance core A to Wan1 of the 380
Link Lan1 of the balance core B to Wan2 of the 380
Make sure you have a different LAN network on each peplink when linking them.
The peplinks don’t like to see the same ip’s on both the lan and the wan.
I assume also it doesn’t like the same range on multiple wans as well.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice; I am trying to convince my military leadership to get off VSATS and move to higher bandwidth with the benefit of multiple WANS. Unfortunately SpeedFusion had major connectivity and throughput issues due to what I suspect are LTE tower instability and traffic shaping. In the initial test ; the tower was only 100 meters away. I tried several bonding solutions but they all resulted speeds of a 5 WAN aggregate less than a single WAN. I think it is possible that the towers throttle the LTE router connection based on TTL (number of hops) to clients indicating presence of a distributed network relying on a consumer based LTE service. I have connected 5 WANS to a balance one core; when I tried speed fusion and other bonding engines the aggregate speed was half of the speed of any single LTE connection. I used a laptop to speed test connected to one of the WAN LTE routers using wifi within 30 seconds of the bonded link speed test. 55 Mbps direct to LTE router; 30 seconds later the 5 WAN bonded link tested under 20 Mbps. All 5 WANS were LTE services on the same ISP; same tower.

I would think that the first thing you need to do now is to test the available bandwidth for the 5 x LTE for the same ISP. Based on the information given, it sound like to the available bandwidth bandwidth for the Cell tower is limited to 50-60 Mbps.

Do you test before to run the 5 x LTE connections together at the same time and check what are the total available bandwidth for the 5x LTE connections ? We do see a lot of cases that the same ISP or same Cell tower from the device location only limited to 50-60Mbps. A lot of cases, we may test each cellular connection separately and we can get 50-60Mbps for each test and we will assume the total available bandwidth is 300-400Mbps by adding the test results together.

In fact, when you have the 5 x LTE test running at the same time, you will see the available bandwidth is only 50-60Mbps sharing between the 5 x LTE connections. Can you please further confirm this ?

1 Like

Hi Chris - hope you’re keeping well.
You are right to move away from VSAT and you should be looking at LEO Sat instead, either Starlink or Oneweb. That’s how you’ll get consistent low latency bandwidth in your part of the world.

You can enforce TTL now under WAN Connection Settings (click the Details button to get there) its in the Physical Interface Settings section
image.png

Cell towers don’t always have the RF capacity or backhaul bandwidth we would expect or assume them to have. One way to test that is with two or more smartphones. Run a speedtest on both sequentially then simultaneously and see if the bandwidth is being shared or not. Also try speed testing overnight when cellular networks are less busy.

Hello Martin, Nice to hear from you; Trying to decipher cell tower traffic shaping has been a task akin to understanding what causes my gf to cry. There is no known algorithm that I can reverse engineer. I am trying to deploy Peplink in my work environment but since this was personal project I am limited in the funding as it is totally out of pocket of a proof of concept. The opportunity is great do to the predatory pricing of Direct Internet access which is over $1000 USD for 50 Mbps.

I have tested individually LTE CAT 11 and CAT 19 routers and received up to 80 Mbps off peak and 20 peak times.
I will turn on the wifi of the LTE routers and connect to their wifi with multiple devices simultaneously ; I have a long history trying to get Speedfusion to work with little success. It was incredibly slow (under 5Mbps) with 3 wans when individual wans could achieve over 30 Mbps. I tried a different bonding engine with 3 WANS and got better results than SpeedFusion but typically LESS than the speed of one WAN leg. BTW I am 100 meters with a clear line of site to the LTE tower.

This is the bonding engine aggregate and individual legs real time display .

I have 4 Old Samsung Notes that I will connect to the wifi of each router and run a speed test at the same time. Will advise on results