Captive portal - checkbox 2 message 1

We are supporting a non-profit organization, and they are troubled by the text in checkbox 2 message 1 of the captive portal system. It seems unchangeable and says:

I agree that Peplink to store my personal information to help ${company} to use my personal information for marketing communications, market research, advertisement and identifying other products/services which might be of interest to me.

The ${company} (i.e., the non-profit) does not perform any personalized marketing, and thus finds the language inappropriate for their volunteers (who are using the system).

More broadly, the terminology employed in this text is too directed towards a specific segment within a specific cultural matrix, namely that of “marketing” and “advertisement.” This language excludes non-profits, governmental agencies and non-market-oriented cultures (e.g., a number of countries outside the US).

Thirdly, I am not sure the language holds legal muster under US and EU jurisdiction. It seems to attempt to be legalese, but in the absence of jurisdictional identification it is likely muddling rather than clarifying the issues.

Finally, it is incorrect English (“I agree that Peplink to store…”)…

Request:
Either make this text editable, or replace it with more neutral statements (that still allow for the storage of the personal information). E.g., something like

I agree to let Peplink store my personal information to allow ${company} the use of this information to improve its communications with me, to help ${company} identify other services that might be of interest to me, and for general Service usage research.

Cheers,

Z

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. Would this statement suit the non-profit organization need?

I agree that ${company} may use my personal information for [marketing communications, market research, advertisement and identifying other products/services] which might be of interest to me, and to appoint Peplink as a data processor to collect and store my personal information.

The text in the square brackets will be editable.

1 Like

Thanks for attending to this. I’d suggest a small modification, to change

appoint Peplink as a data processor to collect and store my personal information

to

appoint Peplink as a data processor to collect and store my personal information on behalf of ${company}.

1 Like

Hi Kenneth,
Would it be possible not to make mandatory the consent of this field ?
many people do not want their data collected for marketing purposes, but they are forced to accept in order to continue using the CP.
I think it is much more correct to make this field optional and not mandatory .

thanks
Antonio