Can't connect to the router through IP on Chrome

I have 2 PepLink Max BR1 and am getting connection refused when trying to connect to the router through its IP 192.168.25.1 on both units:

What are the possible causes?
Thanks,

Assuming you changed the default IP from 192.168.50.1 to 192.168.25.1 on the devices I can’t think of anything obvious. What IP address does your laptop/pc have?

2 Likes

How can I send you the router’s configuration file so you can take a look at it?

1 Like

not an easy thing to do.

do you use incontrol 2? you can remotely manage the device there (using remote web admin to log into the BR1) you can also download previous configuration backups.

are they live in production? if not you could do a hardware reset by pressing in the reset button with a paperclip for 10secs. then it would be available on its standard 192.168.50.1 IP…

2 Likes

Did you change the web admin port from port 80 to something else? You’d get that error if so.

1 Like

Potentially https:// needs to be used if the option was enabled?

1 Like

The Hardware
There have been several attempts to use 2 PEPLink Max BR1 HW2 for our demand with no success.
The Setup
There is a need to create an internal Lan Network where the LINUX Server will be connected and a couple of Android devices. Below the info on one of the products:
Serial Number 2933-6B36-DAF8
The main DNS was changed to 192.168.25.1
The setup includes the following:
Capturar1
Configuring IPs 192.168.25.x as following:
A DHCP reservation is created for LINUX,

DNS servers:
Main DNS: 189.38.95.95
Secondary DNS: 8.8.8.8

The problem
When I ping to the IP given when I’m inside the network using cellular I get 4 out of 5 return, but when I use traceroute I only get ***.
Also, when using putty to try to connect to the SSH port 22 with the same IP, Connection times out.

1 Like

When you ping which IP address? Is that when you are connected to the LAN of the BR1?
Is the Router block in your diagram above the BR1 in this case?

2 Likes

The IP Assigned to me by my ISP. Yes. No, the LAN switch is currently not being used, so the LAN is configured inside the BR1.

Not sure if I’m being 100% clear, but I appreciate your support.

1 Like

OK. So you’re connected to the LAN of the BR1 and you are trying to ping the ISP assigned public IP that is allocated to the cellular modem on the BR1 - is that right? Or are you perhaps using the BR1 on the LAN of another router on the railway inspection vehicle?

Whats the end goal? Is it remote access of a device on the LAN of the BR1 using SSH?

One thing to check is the IP assigned to the BR1 cellular interface. Is it even a public IP? Most cellular carriers provide a private NAT IP to their subscribers.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m trying to PING the ISP that is allocated to the cellular modem on the BR1. There are no other routers in the inspections vehicle.

The end goal is indeed to remote access a server on the LAN of the BR1 using SSH.

Yep, public IP Adresses on my cellular connection.

1 Like

The address is in the 100.64.0.0/10 IP address block, used for carrier grade NAT (Carrier-grade NAT - Wikipedia).

Thus your IP address is not available from the outside, and one would expect a ping (and other connection attempts) to fail.

To gain access from the outside a couple of options come to mind. You could get a static, public IP address from your carrier, or alternately set up a pepVPN or IPSEC connection to a router that does have a public IP address.

Cheers,

Z

3 Likes

Thanks, this seems like a good lead.

We will look into that.

1 Like

Hey, If your connection getting refused when trying to connect to the router, then you don’t need to worry. You should try http://whatsmyrouterip.com/ that will help you connect to the router IP on Chrome as well on other devices also. Through that, you can access and reset your router with other benefits also.

His device appeared to be behind carrier-grade nat, which means that no connections originating from outside would be forwarded to his device. Only outgoing connections would be stored in the NAT lookup tables and be routable back to his device.

An external lookup via a 3rd party site would only resolve to one of the carrier public IP addresses.

1 Like