BR1 ENT DNS Proxy not using specified resolver

MAX BR1 ENT using 8.0.1

I have enabled your DNS proxy on one of my network segments in order resolve names for local printers etc. All fine. But I have set our filter service (103.247.36.36) as the resolver for this LAN under DNS Proxy Settings > DNS Resolvers by ticking my LAN name under LAN Connection, typing in our service providers revolvers, and turning off WAN, Cellular, etc.

The device is not honoring my resolver specification. Based on debug information from our provider, the dns traffic is not going to the resolver I specified. The easiest way to see that is the following:

PS C:\Users\itmbeya> nslookup gambling.com
Server: mbeya-3-max-br1-d61d-ent
Address: 192.168.110.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: gambling.com
Addresses: 104.20.156.46

PS C:\Users\itmbeya> nslookup gambling.com 103.247.36.36
Server: dns1.dnsfilter.com
Address: 103.247.36.36

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: gambling.com
Address: 198.251.90.71

In the first lookup, which according to my config should be going to 103.247.36.36, the request resolves to gambling.com’s public ips. In the second lookup, where I specify my resolver in the lookup, I get a different result - the block page of our filter because gambling is a blocked category. This is the result I should have gotten from the first lookup.

What’s up here? The only way to get this result is for the dns traffic to be going somewhere else, probably the resolver under Cellular, since that is the only other resolver in my config.

Is there any way on this forum to post a screen shot of my config?

Thanks,
Steve

@it_mbeya

Wrong channel to post this. Please open a support ticket for this so that support team can check from the device and confirm whether the resolver work as expected.

1 Like