Beginner Needs Help IPsec VPN on iOS devices

Trying to set up a L2TP/IPsec VPN to connect my Balance 20 with my iOS devices. All are running latest firmware. I keep getting “The VPN server did not respond” error. Questions:

1. I assume I set this up under Remote User Access menu rather than VPN/IPsec VPN menu. I assume I should be using this VPN connection rather than PepVPN. (I don’t see a PepVPN app for my iOS devices.)

2. The settings on the Remote User Access menu page seem pretty clear. I’ve set those up and there is help available on this forum.

3. The iOS VPN configuration requires a Group Name but there is no equivalent on the Peplink menu page. Where do I set up Group Name on the router – or do I just leave that blank on the iOS configuration page?

4. In similar cases (Cisco AnyConnect, etc.) I’ve had to set up a port to direct the inbound connection. Is there no port setting required here?

5. After configuring the VPN connection do I need to open any ports on the router and if so where/how do I do that?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi mjb87,

You can find a step-by-step instruction how to set up L2TP with IPSEC on the Peplik and on a IOS client here:

1 Like

Thank you. Yes, I’ve already seen this topic and reviewed it. It does not answer my specific questions.

First, it refers to LAN ports when I think it means WAN ports.

Second, I was trying to setup via IPsec. The iOS VPN configuration page for L2TP does NOT match iOS page for IPsec – which is why I asked the specific question about what the iOS “Group” entry is for and where I specify that on the PepLink.

I can already get the L2TP VPN to work. This is specifically about IPsec and whether that was an option.

Hi mjb87,

I don’t have access to iOS, so can’t help you with your third question, but here are answers to your other questions:

Q: I assume I set this up under Remote User Access menu rather than VPN/IPsec VPN menu. I assume I should be using this VPN connection rather than PepVPN. (I don’t see a PepVPN app for my iOS devices.)

A: The L2TP with IPsec connections are for giving Remote User Access to resources a network ; ie to set up a secure connection from a single client computer>

Speedfusion ?PepVPM/Ipsec VPN are used to create secure, encrypted connections between 2 routers.

Q: In similar cases (Cisco AnyConnect, etc.) I’ve had to set up a port to direct the inbound connection. Is there no port setting required here?

A: There is no port setting required on your Peplin router.

Q: After configuring the VPN connection do I need to open any ports on the router and if so where/how do I do that?

A: You do not have to open any ports on the Peplink router.

Hope that helps,

Erik

1 Like

Perfect. Many thanks Erik. That answers my questions. I assumed that since iOS offers an IPsec option on its configuration page that I could set that up on my Peplink router. Guess that’s not the case.

Appreciate your help.

Marty

1 Like