Bandwith usage report SIM A or B report

Hi Everyone,

A client of ours asked if it was possible to genare a bandwith data usage report based on the simcard a or B per modem.
As fas as we have seen this is not possible (yet) not via InControl2 Web GUI or the CSV generated file.

For customers in the maritime sector this could be very handy to check if the providers that bill them for their use can compare if this is correct. As these users use in most cases a large variety of global sim card providers to generate a global coverage for the best possible price.

Would this be an option to implement? Therefore i posted it in the feature request part of the forum :slight_smile:

Yannick

1 Like

H Yannick - do it with SIM pools.They are perfect for this - even if each pool only has one SIM in it the reporting gives you what you want.

3 Likes

Hi martin,

Didn’t think of this, much appreciated!

Yannick

1 Like

Hello Yannick (@Frontier_Netherlands),
Have you seen within InControl2 at the organisational level that you can filter down to the IMSI & ICCID?

The IMSI is different in our units between the A & B slots (as seen in this example), so we can use the " Per-SIM Daily Data Usage" to get the usage based on the IMSI.
These tools are also available at the Group level within InControl2.
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Guys,

We tried both solutions with the end customer but they say that there IMSI changes.
So therefore they can’t do this reporting based on these numbers.
That is why they want to do it based on SIM slot A or B.

Could we maybe get this info via IC2 API?
I can see in the documentation that there are a number of calls available but again as far as i can see and understand (not a developer here) only based on IMSI numbers. Not the slot A or B type.

Yannick

@Frontier_Netherlands, I think this is the main concern.

I believe the charges from the provider is based on the SIM card (IMSI) usage. Showing the usage from SIM slot will be less accurate. For example:

Slot A

• SIM A: Usage from 1 Feb - 15 Feb = 5GB
  • SIM B: Usage from 16 Feb - 29 Feb = 3GB <— Customer changed the SIM card in slot A

So, the charges from provider A will be 5GB and provider B will be 3GB respectively in February. In this case, the SIM slot usage (8GB) is not truly reflect the usage on individual provider, as it should not be compared in the way you described. Please enlighten me if I have misunderstood the customer requirement.

1 Like

Hi TK, and other,

Comming back from a meeting with the customer this week.
There has been a communicatio conflict, they don’t mean using the acutal sim card slot A and or B for this usage but the actual SIM Card number.

They still seem to have a provider which can change the IMSI number on a particular SIM card, the sim card number is the only static number.

Would it be possible to add this to the SIM Pools?

Yannick

Yannick, can I confirm the objective of the customer is looking for the total usage of a physical SIM card (even IMSI can be changed) from InControl2?

2 Likes

Yes, correct!

Yannick, SIM pool from InControl2 should help with your case.

2 Likes

Hi TK_Liew,

How do i add sim pools based on the ICCID (the sim card number) instad of the IMSI?
That is our problem, when they have a provider that changes IMSI numbers on some of the ICCID.
The customers can’t generate actual reports to compare with the billing they recieve.

That is our problem at the moment.

Yannick

Hello Yannick, @Frontier_Netherlands

Why is IMSI changing? These are hardcoded into the cellular chipset at the factory.

The only ways we know that an ICCID number can be changed are:

• The SIM card is physically swapped
  • They are using an eSIM (or something similar like FusionSIM)?

There is currently no feature within InControl2 to do this, suggest starting a new thread as a Feature Request and link it back to this discussion if you really need the feature.

Can you share here who the client’s carrier(s) are? Good chance someone in the forum has had experience with the carrier(s).
Happy to Help,

Thanks for the reply, again :slight_smile:
They use 4 companies that support them with global sim coverage.
At least 2 of the 4 providers (all are MVNO’s) supply them with virtual SIMS.
Based in lowest cost they change the IMSI’s as needed. Therefore generating reports based on IMSI gives them wrong ammounts of data usage.

I can ask if we can share the names of these companies, but everything is under NDA so i don’t think we can…

Yannick

Hello Yannick,
Naming the MVNOs should be OK, are the MVNOs publicly known companies?

I’m still unsure as to how the operator can change the IMSI within the router, as mentioned these are hardcoded at the factory. What model(s) of Pepwave routers is your client using?
Changing ICCID numbers with virtual SIMs or eSIMs we get (and have done), changing IMSI we don’t get (yet), have you received special firmware from Peplink/Pepwave & the cellular chip provider that allows the overriding of the factory IMSI?.

Happy to Help,

1 Like

Hi Markus,

Our customer confirmed that their supplier for the SIMS, has confirmed that the IMSI changes based on cost or location. So it seems they can change the IMSI, but the ICCID stays the same.
According to them the ICCID is hardcoded in the sim card and the IMSI can be changed.

As this seems to be possible peplink’s Per-SIM Daily Data Usage report based on the IMSI, and when it changes you need to know all the IMSI’s used on that physical SIM and add up all the reports from those IMSI’s manually to know which sim has used X ammount of data.

Yannick

@TK_Liew you have any idea or option for this?

@Frontier_Netherlands, I am checking with engineering team whether reading ICCID can be another option for SIM Pool report.

1 Like

We have added your requested feature to our road map. Note that this feature will involve a firmware change too.

Thanks for your suggestion.

1 Like

Hi @Michael Thank you very much.
Any idead when this is scheduled for deployment?

I will inform customer asap!

ETA: Q3. (The feature involves some fundamental changes and firmware changes. So it will take a longer time.)

1 Like