Balance One WAN connection drop

@jakebdb56

Can you please open a support ticket for support team to check as well ? If you had do so, can you share your ticket number here ?

1 Like

I opened a support ticket and found out some interesting information. Apparently if you have a Balance One mounted inside of a rack it can cause interference with itself and cause the unit to simply crash without error.
They suggest two ways to fix it:

1. Move the router to the top of the rack so it is not surrounded by metal.
  2. Disable the internal AP if you already use external managed APā€™s (like my situation)

It has fixed the problem definitively thus far. I never had an issue until I changed to a much larger rack. The previous 3yrs or so have been in a small media type rack.

6 Likes

Dude, you are my hero. We put a Balance One in a rack at a new clientsā€™ location and they are an hour drive away. Iā€™d get everything working, then tidy up the rack, line up all the equipment, zip tie the cables and leave. Anywhere from 1-4 hours later, the thing would just drop offline and not come back up. I pulled all the cables and swapped them with new ones, checked all the settings, etc, and their entire site still went down, resulting in more hours of downtime and making us look ridiculous. Even swapped out one Balance One for another. Same problem.
After about the fifth time this happened, I came across your comment. Walked them through moving the Balance One to the top of the rack and they havenā€™t had a blip since.
This was infuriating, so again, thanks for posting this. I donā€™t know what I would have done otherwise except put their old ASA back in. Itā€™s nice to have a resolution posted online rather than an open-ended ā€œOpen a ticketā€ discussion thread.

1 Like

Glad it helped someone else! It was bugging the crap out of me why it would drop out without any errors whatsoever. Iā€™m certain the router that went dead on me was because of this issue, and luckily I figured it out before having another one go kaput. I donā€™t think it was just coincidence that within a day of installing the old Balance One in a rack it dies.

Seriously? Wow.

Is this issue just limited to the models with APs? (i.e., not the Core versions)

I presume so since the only thing that makes them go whacky is the internal AP

I just recently ran into this same issue (balance one going unresponsive). I submitted a support ticket yesterday. What is interesting is I installed the balance one in a small rack about 3 weeks ago with no issues and yesterday all of a sudden it started crashing/rebooting. After isolating the router from the rest of the network and disabling the internal AP its been up for 18 hours without rebooting. Still waiting for the peplink support to get back to me with a solution.

1 Like