Balance One for my new ISP company?

Howdy everyone…

I am the owner of a medium-sized WISP in the Northeast USA! Recently, we are deploying some nodes that our legacy Cisco-routers cannot handle. They only have 10/100 ports…

I recently ordered a Balance One. We are supplying the WISP with 5 unlimited Hotspots… each are on a IP Gate way of XXX.XXX.1.1 then XXX.XXX.2.1 and so on.

They can put through about 250 Mbps to 300 Mbps combined speed.

My question is this… when I activate the 5 WAN license, I understand the throughput goes from 600 Mbps to 400 Mbps. Will the Balance One be able to FULLY supply my customers with the full speed?

Thanks!

Hello @aayers,
Who did you get the Balance ONE routers through, they are your first point of contact.
Certified Peplink Partners can be found in this following link.
https://www.peplink.com/peplink-certified-partners/

We use Balance ONE units as a MSP, normal usage from clients we find is adequately covered for small setups.
When adding in different WAN providers, you need to consider the ISP source, latency and any connection restrictions they apply, these will be the first things to impact you Balance ONE delivery of service to the customers.
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

I got it brand new from TradePort.

Each hotspot is bringing is around 45 Mbps, I just tested them individually. Through the balance, the test is only bringing 35-50 Mbps total speed.

I tried a weighted balance and auto setting

This is weird… I have the 5 WAN license activated and now I can get 105 Mbps from just 3 WANs. I did this to achieve this result:

WAN 1: Hotspot 1 connected via CAT 7
WAN 2: Unplugged
WAN 3: Hotspot 2 Connected via CAT 6
WAN 4: Disconnected
WAN 5: Disconnected
WAN 6 (Cellular USB): Connected

Why is it when I add the other hospots on via Ethernet that it slows my internet down completely?

Outbound Policy: Auto
DSL Cable Optimization: Off
No Bandwidth Management

This may related to to session generated for Speedtest is not fully distribute across the WANs due to WAN conditions.

Please follow the guide below to do the test:

1 Like

It took a ton of work for the configuration (disabling DSL optimization… enabling “Independent from WAN Backup” and more but I got it!

Thanks guys!

1 Like

Now I am running into a similar issue…some reason, all the WAN’s get super slow except 1 of them. It’s usually the USB cellular that gets like 90 Mbps download and the others go at 6 Mbps. AT&T said all of them should be getting the full speed.I even have a properly-installed WeBoost 4G Home

Now, I have the following config:

WAN 1 - WHPI (Avg. 12 Mbps down)
WAN 2- WHPI (Avg. 6 Mbps down)
WAN 3 - WHPI (Avg. 16 Mbps Down)
WAN 4 - Nighthawk (Avg. 6 Mbps Down)
USB WAN - Nighthawk (Avg. 90 Mbps Down)

If I test each wan separately by direct WiFi connection, I get 50 Mbps each.

Would it maybe make a difference if I ran a simple Windows Server that basically took the WHPI on ETH1 and then shared the connection to ETH2 and into a WAN port on the Peplink?

I don’t believe this is an AT&T issue as each device gets a great speed, it’s like the Balance doesnt know how to properly load balance.

I’d be interested to see what speeds you get with two connections running a speedtest simultaneously outside of the Balance. have you got a couple of dongles and laptops you could use to do that?

In my experience, I can often pull similar amounts of bandwidth from individual SIMS, but when I try and do simultaneous bandwidth tests (using phones and usb dongles) that bandwidth gets shared between the SIMS.

I suspect that you’re either seeing a backhaul bandwidth limitation at the the tower or an RF interference issue between the modems - but only testing (and close monitoring of SNR readings) will tell.

1 Like

That is odd, but I noticed that some WANs stay faster than others. I thought it was the Peplink since the same devices get 50 Mbps each.

I have a Dell R210. I plan on taking a Hotspot and a WHPI and connecting them to the server to see.

On my Cisco RV016, I could have only 3 units on and they could pull 100 Mbps consistently through the legacy product. Once I added the Peplink, it seemed to stay unstable.

What my yeast will be is this.

3 WHPIs connected to my Cisco RV016. From there, it will go into my Dell Server then into the Peplink.

Then the Nighthawks will go into the Peplink directly. It seems like the WHPIs have an issue when they are connected into the Peplink, like it’s not sending or requesting enough traffic from the WHPIs.

I did notice the PepLinks works more stable with 3 or less WANs are connected. My goal is to combine the WHPIs into 1, and the Dell Server will work in mitigation. I’m hoping that if I say the server can do 100/50 Mbps, it’ll pull it fully without rate limiting.

Like you said prior, as long as there isn’t a SIM Backhaul limitation, then it should work fine.

Worst comes to worst, I can point 1 cell booster in the way of the 1 tower and have 3 WHPIs in that room. Then in another room,point a cell booster to the other tower so there isn’t priorization occuring.

I am destined to try and get 200 Mbps because only a T1 I available in my hole of a valley and it will cost $600,000 for a fiber line.

Martin,

I have good and bad news. The good news is that the Cisco RV016 is performing very well. I connected all 3 WHPI’s to them, and I can pull a 75/25 Mbps stream without error.

The bad news is, the PepLink kinda bit the dust during testing. I Have the config as follows:

WHPI 1 - Cisco
WHPI 2 - Cisco
WHPI 3 - Cisco
Patch cable from Cisco to PepLink on WAN 1
Nighthawk - WAN 4
Nighthawk - USB Modem

When testing on the PepLink, I only get 16-40 Mbps… and it will peak to 110 Mbps sometimes but then it basically shuts right off and dies down a ton. Last results on the PepLink:

WAN 1 - 35 Mbps
WAN 4 - 3.28 Mbps
USB WAN - 10 Mbps

Any idea why it’s doing this? Its very odd to me.

Now these are the results when ran independently through the PepLink:

USB WAN:
30.40 Mbps Download
18.85 Mbps Upload

WAN 4 (Nighthawk):
36.70 Mbps Download (At the end it dropped to 21.44 Mbps)
14.84 Mbps Upload

WAN 1:
60.10 Mbps Download (Then a gradual decrease to a final 27.60 Mbps - ONLY observed through a PepLink - Cisco stayed constant)
21.41 Mbps Upload (Gradual increase)

When combined:

WAN 1 and WAN 4:
25.30 Mbps Download
19.17 Mbps Upload

WAN 1 and USB WAN:
106 Mbps Download (80 Mbps alone on the USB)
9 Mbps Upload

All 3:
104 Mbps then a steep decrease to 33.20 Mbps for the final
19.50 Mbps Upload

Found that you had opened a support ticket (782787). Would you please enable RA access for the Balance One for support team to check ?

1 Like

Doing so now!

I now have the following setup, and I am getting more stable results (kinda):

Cisco RV016 (AT&T Tower West)
Nighthawk 1
WHPI -1
These pull about 85-90 Mbps just form the 2 of them.

PepLink Balance Core
WAN 1 - Cisco RV016
WAN 2 - WHPI 2
WAN 3 - WHPI 3
USB WAN - Nighthawk 2

Pulling from the PepLink I get 110 Mbps. The status is as follows:

WAN 1 (Cisco): 22.74 Mbps
WAN 2 - 8.67 Mbps
WAN 3 - 1.60 Mbps
USB WAN - 82.70 Mbps

Remote access is enabled.

It seems like the PepLink becomes unstable with more than 2 WAN’s activated. I disconnected all of my WAN’s except my RV016 and it’s pushing/pulling speed right along.

@aayers

We will followup with you via support ticket.

We need to arrange remote access to 1 of the LAN PC to test on the performance.

1 Like