Balance 305 only allows 40% of total bandwidth to LAN port


#1

Recently installed a Balance 305 (hardware revision 1, firmware 6.2.1 build 3345) to replace a Mikrotik CCR router. The Peplink is connected to both a 150 / 20 connection (WAN1) and a 100 / 10 connection (WAN2). I have set those speeds in the WAN configuration. Outbound policy is set to “Overflow” with WAN1 on top.

I have a computer connected directly to the LAN port of the router (verified 1Gbps link). When I speed test the router, it gives me 60 / 10 every time. Does not matter if I use speedtest.net or the Peplink speed test tool. They are both the same. If I remove the Peplink and put the Mikrotik back in, I get 165 / 25 from speedtest.net reliably (cable modem gives me a bit more than my purchased speed).

No QOS settings are active on the Peplink but “DSL Cable Optimization” is on - since both WANs are cable lines.

I understand that hardware revision 1 for the 305 has a 200 Mbps limit. That is still above my fastest Internet connection. I would expect to see ~ 150 / 20 when I speed test (or faster using Peplinks speed test tool).

I must be doing something wrong but I can’t find what it is. Below are a couple screen shots of my settings.





#2

Hi,

Can you please redo the performance test by follow the below STEPs to isolate the performance issue:

  1. WAN1 Performance Test
  • Verify WAN1 connected interface speeds is on 1Gbps Link
  • Verify computer connected directly to the LAN port of the router is on 1Gbps Link
  • Verify MTU size for WAN1 (Make sure optimum size is defined same as Microtik)
  • Disconnect WAN2 from the Balance 305
  • WebUI - Open Real time bandwidth monitor page (Status --> Bandwidth --> Real-Time)
  • Perform bandwidth test - using Speedtest Website and Peplink SpeedTest tools (Please launch few Peplink Speedtest tool when perform the test)
  1. WAN2 Performance Test
  • Verify WAN2 connected interface speeds is on 1Gbps Link
  • Verify computer connected directly to the LAN port of the router is on 1Gbps Link
  • Verify MTU size for WAN2 (Make sure optimum size is defined same as Microtik)
  • Disconnect WAN1 from the Balance 305
  • WebUI - Open Real time bandwidth monitor page (Status --> Bandwidth --> Real-Time)
  • Perform bandwidth test - using Speedtest Website and Peplink SpeedTest tools (Please launch few Peplink Speedtest tool when perform the test)

Do share us the Real-Time WAN1 & WAN2 bandwidth usage graph for us to further analyze the performance issue.

Thank You


#3

Right now, I am just testing WAN 1 since it is the primary. WAN 2 is disconnected.

  • LAN is 1Gbps to a Windows 7 computer for speed testing.
  • MTU is 1500
  • Speedtest.net = 87 / 16 with no other network traffic
  • Realtime bandwidth monitor matches
  • Peplink bandwidth tools show ~ 25 Mbps download from each location






#4

After doing some more research, I found this result… IPv4 speed tests are about 50% of where they should be. However, IPv6 speed tests are 100% of where they should be.

Does that make sense? The Peplink speed tests and IPv4 speed tests are the same result.



#5

Hi,

Possible to let me know how you get the above test results ? Are you bypassing Peplink device for the test ? If the test results collected after bypassing Peplink device then we can conclude the issue is not on the B305. This is more like the available bandwidth for IPv4 network for the WAN compare to the IPv6 Network.

Thank You


#6

Well, I replied to this twice with a bunch of pictures after performing the tests. Since I was moderated at the time, none of those replies actually got posted. They seem to have vanished.

What I discovered was speed tests on IPv4 networks were 40% rated speed. However, a IPv6 speed test was 100% rated speed. I could duplicate the speed problem with both speedtest.net and the Peplink speed tool. Both were 40% of total speed.

I then updated firmware to the latest and the problem went away. Seems to have been a bug in the older firmware I was running… Odd that it only affected IPv4 speed tests…


#7

Hi,

There is some problem for the Forum Spam filter. We have fixed the filter.

Base on the latest post look like the issue is solved after you upgrade to the latest version. Do let us know if you still need further help.

Thank You