Balance 20x LTE bandwidth cap

Exact same band, serving cell and signal values on both devices? To be sure there is nothing else happening that is causing the difference?

yes, same everything. i don’t care if i have to buy a new unit, i just want one available, and simply buying a HD4 is not a acceptable solution, that thing is like $4k.

i’m looking at a HD2, but unsure if it would have the same limitation as the 20x. can anyone confirm if both modems in a HD2 are capable of over 100mbps?

The Balance 20X internal bus is USB 3.0 and we have conducted field tests with MNO that see the cellular connection (onboard or FlexModule Mini) throughput exceeded 200Mbps (DL).

3 Likes

perhaps a bug was introduced with this limitation? see the screenshot below.

I am looking at getting 5g now that it’s available here, and am further concerned with this bandwidth cap. I want to use a 5g mini flex module or via USB, but that’s a lot of money to even see a limitation of 200mbps. Even at shared bus speeds, USB 3 should far exceed this. @WeiMing @Shereen ?

Hmmm … just bought a cat-12 flexmodule mini for my Balance 20X … and now I read the max throughput may be limited to 100 mbps? I did this to upgrade from the cat-4 embedded LTE module (150mbit max download) … so if there is really a 100mbit/sec ceiling on the flexmodule/usb4(?) bus, I seem to have wasted my money.

Hopefully @WeiMing is correct with his MNO testing (not sure what MNO refers to) which showed excess of 200 mbps. Can anyone point to documented bandwidth limits of the flexmodule/usb3 internal bus, and/or tell me what MNO refers to?

@Greg_Hidley : Where do you see a cap of 100mb/sec documented? If you are referring to SpeedFusion Connect (Cloud), that’s limited to 200 mb/sec and it was upgraded from 100 mb/sec some time ago at no cost to the licensees. And, all hardware has limitations, yours included. The specs of the 20X may be found here. We’ve seen results very similar to what @WeiMing reported.

Please test in an optimum signal environment and report back.

Hi @Rick-DC
I have seen no documented maximum limit of the Balance 20X internal bus that flex modules connect to. I have seen prior discussion in this thread reporting limited throughput. Glad to hear your report of throughput similar to what @WeiMing observed. That gives me some added confidence. I do understand throughput would also be limited by signal quality between my location and the connected tower radio.

I will report back once my cat-12 flex module arrives and I can install and test it in my 20X. I’ll test both using the included stubby antennas as well as an external mimo antenna that I have.

thanks!
greg

Right. I don’t think the limits of the internal bus are published but there are other limits of which one should be cognizant. That’s all I meant to say. Looking forward to your test results.

You are very focused on bandwidth. Cat 12 module brings additional bands over Cat 4. Even the new B20x is Cat 7 by default with additional bands. You should figure out the location, carrier, what bands you plan to use. Even in ideal cases with device limitations aside, you will likely not see hundreds of mbps of cellular bandwidth from most carriers in most locations on 4g/lte.

The cat-12 flex module arrived, was installed in the Balance 20X , and works great. I am getting download speeds from 90 - 112 mbps and upload speeds of 40-50 mbps with latency from 39-48 ms. The previous B20x’s internal cat-4 modem gave me around 25-35 mbps both download and upload.

I used the same Panoram DMM-7-27-2SP 2X2 MIMO external antenna for both tests.

The bands used by the cat-12 flexmodule are
Band 66 - (AWS 1700/2100 MHz)
RSSI: -56dBm SINR: 23.6dB RSRP: -83dBm RSRQ: -10.0dB
Band 13 - (700 MHz)
RSSI: -53dBm SINR: 21.0dB RSRP: -73dBm RSRQ: -9.0dB

I am happy with the upgrade. Thanks to all for you advice. This is my backup WAN connection on my B20X. My primary WAN is T-Mobile 5G home internet, which gets 200-300 mbps download and about 150 mbps upload with latency around 20.

Thanks to all for you advice!

greg