Balance 20 slowing connection

Hello,

I went from two WiMax connections, fastest connection was 20Mb/2Mb with 15Mb/3Mb as the backup to a symmetric fiber optic connection of 300Mb/300Mb, and downgraded the backup to 3Mb/1Mb. What I have noticed is that the connection has over the last month gotten slower. I connected everything directly to the fiber optic router, and I’m achieving speeds that are around 100Mb faster connected directly to the Balance 20. I have tried running various speed tests on different sites, and I keep getting the same results. Would something in the configuration of my router prevent me from obtaining the fastest speed possible via the Balance 20?

This question has been answered several times recently. Different routers have different throughput. Essentially, “pay more - get more.” To start, see … https://www.peplink.com/products/balance/model-comparison/ . Does this link (and previous threads) answer your question?

1 Like

Interesting given the fact that I just had a balance 30 replaced with a balance 20 due to a warranty issue, and I was assured that I would have the full 300Mb up and down, and that the router was setup to work to 1Gb if necessary (actually one of the options in connections settings). It was the only reason I bothered having the unit switched. So based on what you’ve sent me, I am assuming this isn’t the case and that the previous person I spoke to was just blowing smoke?

Hi. Well, I really can’t speak to what you may have been told but I can say that the document shown at the link I provided has been there for, hmmm, maybe 3-4 years or so and has been pretty much unchanged. And, the “bandwidth issue” has been discussed quite a number of times here on the forum.

One may also note the difference been “port speed” (which may very well be 1gb/sec) and device “throughput” which is likely to be less.

1 Like

Well then that’s a shame, I was assured a few months back when I switched the units that I would be working with the full speed I was discussing. Have the emails to prove it. I asked about this due to the link you sent me where it even specifies that the Balance 20 is slower than the Balance 30 I had originally purchased. Which is when I was assured that I would have no issues. So I´m feeling kind of bamboozled at the moment. A shame that the person that dealt with my warranty issues did not guide me correctly. I could have saved on reupping the warranty and the shipping of my old unit.

Yes. You may wish to take that issue up with the party with whom you dealt. Without knowing more of your circumstances and requirements it would seem that The Balance One Core may be a better fit.

1 Like

@vmr907

Do allow me to help out your issue here.

1. May i know the actual performance that you get when you are using B30 (Via the Fiber Optic WAN) ?

2. May i know the actual performance that you get when you are migrated to B20 (Via the Fiber Optic WAN) ?

3. You are mention that the issue just happen over the last month. Do you mean originally the B20 running with no issue just out of sudden the issue start to happen last month ago ?

1 Like

Thank you for responding, here are answers to your questions:

1. I did not get fiber optic service until about a two months after the B30 was switched for the B20. When I was told I was getting a B20 instead, I asked to see the specs, as I figured it was an inferior model, and specified that I was about to get fiber optic connection that would be at least 300Mb up and down. I was told that the B20 could handle up to 1Gb without a problem.

2. I am receiving around 150Mb up and down.

3. Initially I was getting between 250 to 290Mb up and down with the B20, now I am getting around 150 up and down. The installer that did the fiber optic install even checked when he installed his router, as he had never worked with anything like the B20 in the past. We tested directly through his router, and then with the B20, and the speed was more or less the same. Then the last few weeks I noticed everything started working slower, and when I check both the B20 and my ISP’s router I noticed the discrepancy between the two.

@vmr907

Thank you for the information shared.

After verified the info shared together have a discussion my team members, we don’t think that the B20/B30 is suitable to handle the 300Mbps fiber link that you are having. This is totally out of the published router throughput (150Mbps) and even two times than the published. I believe this is the reason why you get inconsistent throughput depend the traffics/connections generated for the LAN network.

Seem you are getting the throughput above what we had published, we will consider this as the acceptable performance for B20/B30.

Just for your info, B20 & B30 is having the same hardware platform, hence the performance for both models should be the same. Even, i had further discussed this with our QA team to get the confirmation for them.

I would think that the main problem here will be the misunderstanding that the B20 can handle up to 1Gbp router throughput that someone told you on that. I had further checked on this and i believe the issue is more to the misunderstanding between the device having “Gigabit interface 10/100/100Mbps” and the “router throughput”.

2 Likes

Ok, so if this is the case, I would have to switch to the Balance One? or B305? If so, is there some sort of trade up program to switch from one model to another?