Balance 20 not switching over

Hello.

Typically the balance 20 router does a pretty good job of switching over when the primary internet goes down. i have tested it by removing the primary wan cable and it works just fine. Last night it of course did not work again and this is twice in a row. The configuration looks fine to me so I am not sure what could have changed. I notice i cannot upload a diag report so I’m not really sure where to start. The primary is a cable connection and the secondary is a dsl. The primary went down, the dsl stayed up but did not switch over. Could you please provide me any info on where to start the diagnostics?

Thanks

When it come to simulating failures, pulling the Ethernet cable out from the Peplink, is not the same as a real network failure upstream. If you pull the plug, the loss of physical wired connection is seen instantly. To test real world, you need to keep the link from Peplink to modems intact, and disconnect the coax cable from the modem, or the phone line from the DSL. Then watch how long it takes the Peplink to sense and resolve the issue.

Actually, you can unplug the Ethernet WAN cable to simulate a failed connection. The Peplink will detect the failed condition and all traffic will route across the healthy connection. I suspect you may have some outbound policy rules that might be set to enforced over the Cable?

After first posting this i tried another test by removing the cables and everything worked correctly. I think rossh_pl has a pretty good idea and the next time i get the chance to test i will do it like that and see what happens. Thanks. I have checked over the all rules and do not see anything different now as to when it was working ok.

No. When you unplug the cable from the Peplink / other end of local link, you make a layer 2 failure. The Peplink, any almost any network device, will sense this instantly - that’s not a test of real world, or what the Peplink was built for.

To test real network / routing failures upstream we want to test for is layer 3 or 4 failure (comms on the wire). That means leaving the layer 2 intact at the Peplink and going to different local link further upstream and breaking it there. Then the Peplink ICMP (layer 3) and TCP (4) checking will be put to the test.

I got your point here. You can configure the WAN link to use PING as Health Check and point to a unreachable IP, maybe a private IP. This will bring the WAN link down where you still maintain the physical connection. Then you can test on the failover.