Balance 20 getting only 130 Mbps on 250 Mbps connection. Is this normal?

Just upgraded my residential connection to 250Mbps cable. During testing I am only able to achieve ~130 Mbps throughput on PCs on the LAN side of the Balance 20. Cable modem is cfg’d as a transparent bridge. It is the sole wan connection, and is directly connected to WAN1 on the Balance. One Balance LAN port goes to a GB Netgear dumb switch for distribution.

If I use the cable-provided Hitron CGN3 modem as a router, then I’m able to achieve stable speeds in excess of 300 Mbps. Seeing as the Peplink is using GB ports for WAN and LAN, I was very surprised to see this significant loss of throughput being caused by the Balance.

The balance is running FW 6.2.2. Only a couple of minor inbound forwards are configured, and a PPTP server.

Is there anything I can do to alleviate this throughput loss?

Hi Mike, the Balance 20 router is rated for up to 100Mbps total router throughput so this is your bottleneck. You may want to consider upgrading to the Balance One which is rated for up to 600+ Mbps.

I thought that might be the case. Too bad. My mistake in buying a limited device like this. I won’t buy another.

Hi Mike, you can contact us at [email protected] (with the device details – serial number) and we can arrange a trade-up offer for you to keep you “up-to-speed”.

OK, that’s a nice surprise. Will contact you with details.