B2B5 - achieve best throughtput

I want to get 3MB + 3MB + 3MB = 9MB throughput. I believe this is possible but haven’t seen it.

I set up an AWS account (free), installed FusionHub Solo successfully, and it appeared to connect with my B2B5. Both devices are in NY but being mobile I am not sure I need to care.

I need to understand how to configure Peplink devices to achieve my goal. I wish to have a priority order for WANs and still be able to use any/all available services. WAN services vary with my mobile location. Sometime all work, occasionally none and I am cutoff, but mostly 2 will work at any given time.

I can’t seem to get consistent results, I have tried various WAN algorithms and believe Weighted may achieve my goal, however using Real-Time Status I sometimes see connected WANs show traffic but other times nothing. I believe if setup correctly I should see traffic on all working WAN connections. I have seen this once.

I am confused about how the B2B5 manages different requests from my Netgear AC2600-R7800 supporting my phones, computers, TV, and pads.

Again, what I hope is possible is to get 3MB + 3MB + 3MB = 9MB for any device connected to my network. How do I do this? What needs to be set to what?

Using load balancing, if multiple LAN devices are doing multiple things (file downloads, streaming video etc) so there are multiple active IP sessions running, those sessions can be load balanced across the three links and you will get 9Mbps of throughput.

Need more detail / example of scenarios you want to support.

What WAN links are you using? What Peplink device do you have (I don’t recognize B2B5)?

You will only see usage on all WANs when there are enough individual sessions to be load balanced. A single file download (single session) will only ever use the bandwidth of a single WAN link (unless you use SpeedFusion Bonding). Multiple https sessions from the same LAN device to the same internet IP will always be sent via the same WAN link (as https doesn’t like it when the source IP changes during load balancing).

If the Netgear is in router mode, the only IP address the Peplink device would see is the WAN IP address of the netgear connected to its LAN. For all intents and purposes, the Peplink router sees just one device, which can limit the effectiveness of the load balancing algorithms.

1 Like

oops duplicate see below

Balance One Core. Sorry I thought I said that. Tech services called it B2B5. I understand it can load balance via SpeedFusion.

I have three sometime four WAN services, Satellite (Hughes Gen 5 - 25GB cap), Cell ATT and Verizon - Unlimited, sometimes Local WiFi. I wish to prioritize both ATT and Verizon first, Wifi second and Hughes last. However throughput is the real priority. I can barely operate at 3Mbps while 25Mbps is functional. I have daily business functions to do.

I have a download manager I have seen sustain 150Mbps when I had 150Mbps cable service. That should fully test all the WAN services. Their best is usually 25-40Mbps ea.

I understand the router presents only one IP. I really don’t want to change the existing network, just use the full bandwidth of the B2B5. As I mentioned I did see once where the two connected WANs were both contributing to the total bandwidth. I had FusionHub running and believe it may have been working. I didn’t look at the FusionHub status when logged in, probably should have done that.

I am confused about AWS. Do you know how I can can always have the cloud SpeedFusion online? I did get it to work but am unsure of how to keep it available so I may take down and bring up my end any time I move. This is my first attempt at cloud services. I do have a business account through Microsoft that may serve this purpose but though I would try AWS free first.

Thanks for all this

OK. So you’re using SpeedFusion Bonding - not load balancing, to a Fusionhub hosted in AWS. Lets look at the WANs:

1. Hughes net. So satellite is a pain in the ass for two reasons, its always high latency and it typically has to be TCP optimized to get the expected headline throughput. Have a look at this link for info about TCP optimization.
    The end result is that actually being able to use the advertised available bandwidth over satellite in a speedfusion tunnel is nearly impossible because you are obscuring the user traffic being sent over the satellite link inside of a tunnel and so the TCP optimization can have little to no affect. But it can be a very effective internet link when used by itself outside of the tunnel… more on that in a sec.
  2. Cellular (ATT & Verizon) assuming these are in coverage and have good signal quality with good amounts of available bandwidth the tower and the internet then these will work great in a SpeedFusion tunnel. And we can fine tune the way SpeedFusion uses them to make sure that when their performance degrades (as you move away from the tower or as the tower becomes saturated) that they don’t have a negative impact on the SpeedFusion Tunnel as a whole.
  3. WiFI WAN in many ways wifi wan is similar to cellular in that getting a connection doesn’t always mean that it will be good quality or high bandwidth. We need to be prepared for high latency, saturation of bandwidth and all that fun stuff on public wifi.

Your goal of throughput as the priority is a challenging one because of the WAN link types you have.

Peplink devices don’t actively test each WAN link periodically to see what bandwidth is available - instead they passively monitor the WAN link characteristics. So when they see latency rising, or high levels of packet loss they can infer link quality and bandwidth availability (since when you saturate any WAN link with more data than it can transmit / receive buffers fill and latency rises).

In your case then I would set up the WANs in the following way to start:
On the dashboard:

1. Cellular & wifi WANs as Priority 1
  2. Sat as Priority 2

In your FusionHub SpeedFusion Profile

1. Cellular and Wifi WAN as priority 1
  2. Satellite as OFF.

For both cellular and Wifi set an initial latency cut off of 250ms and a suspension time after packet loss of 30ms

Then create an outbound policy for all internet traffic (so Any source to Any destination) as a priority rule with the Speedfusion VPN connection at the top and the satellite connection underneath.

What this gives you is:

• A speedfusion bonded tunnel made up of cellular and wifi wan where any of those connections will be used if and when available.
  • Speedfusion is used when there is a healthy cellular or wifi wan connection, otherwise the satellite connection is used directly (no SpeedFusion VPN so TCP optimization can work).
4 Likes

Martin,

Your suggestions makes sense. Satellite is primarily used when cell is unavailable. My base is an RV and Internet is restarted at each new location and typically stationary for 1-10 days.

My use is online stock market transactions. It is simple order entry and market data retrieval of multiple instruments and does not need split second timing. Typical 600-800 ms latency is annoying but workable. If I have cell service, asymmetric routing is probably not needed.

Please treat me as networking challenged. Although the terms may be familiar their assembly and interactions elude me.

I believe the Balance One Core will do everything needed but I need to know the particular field names and values.

*MartinLangmaid *

On the dashboard:

1. Cellular & wifi WANs as Priority 1

2. Sat as Priority 2
    In your FusionHub SpeedFusion Profile

3. Cellular and Wifi WAN as priority 1

4. Satellite as OFF.
    When you reference priority, in the B2B5 Network>Outbound Policy>Rules>Edit Custom Rule> these fields are available: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, Algorithm. please see attachment B2B5-outbound-rules. In Algorithms I believe it is ‘Weighted Balance’ where I can set priority. In Slingshot6 you mention other settings that may also help. The ‘Port’ field allows setting inbound and outbound by clicking on ‘here’ in Help. Are these the setting you reference? If I don’t need ‘Asymmetrically Routed VPN’ do I need to change any of these?

AWS is new to me. I don’t know if I can have a virtual hub always running so I may connect to it when I setup at each new location? Each time I started FusionHub it gave me a new IP.

Lastly, the Peplink locations are both in New York. Should I change to something local? How?

I think I am close to making this work. Thanks for you insight and help,

Richard