Antenna position on ship, BR1 LTE

im not that technical when it comes to antennas but i’d love to understand what MIMO and polarizaiton mean within an antenna. for example, the poynting 402, how is the internal antenna(s) actually arranged?

i am guessing he has the duo with two modems and four antenna connections. two poynting 402 would mean two antenna wires from each antenna, each pair for one modem. so his test was really one modem, one 402 primary and aux antenna connection. i was debating switching to a 402 for MIMO with LTE-A but am hitting 50+ mbps with a single non-mimo omni cellular antenna on a boat. it really comes down to cell tower capacity. in some locations i get close to zero bandwidth either due to the cell tower being over loaded or weak signal due to cell tower location in relation to where the boat is docked. i dont see how putting up an aux antenna will help me much in those situations. perhaps it would mean more bandwidth when there is a healthy performing cell tower and good signal…but that would only be on the downstream…

Hi David,

Nice Picture, but a Yagi Antenna is a directional antenna, how do you adjust that while the ship is moving?

Regards
Dennis

1 Like

@SamuelNorris, Im using a EE physical simcard (dont think my br1 supports e-sim or does it?) from UK. I’ve requested a Vodaphone sim aswell as I think there might be som APN problems on the EE card after they merged with T-mobile (since I cant connect to some T-mobile providers).

@DavidArbogast, well as @dennis.hofheinz says, thats a nice picture but not relevant to the thread unfortunately.

Anyway, thank you all for your responses. I will be going for vacation now so I will perhaps take this thread up again in 4 weeks :wink: The problems are not quite fixed yet but hopefully I can deal with this when I get back. Thanks!

1 Like

Anyone have issues with the Poynting Omni-496 especially on the 5ghz band? Thanks

Could you describe the issue ?

• cable used
  • cable length
  • issue you experience
1 Like