Add intelligence in SpeedFusion to dynamically drop higher latency links

My primary use case for SpeedFusion bonding is cellular as backhaul. When testing with two cellular links and one has significantly higher latency (i.e. 60 vs 160). SpeedFusion tries to bond, which only results in 25% of the lower latency link’s throughput. Would adding intelligence help eradicate these situations? Competitive solutions seem to work better under more dynamic conditions such as these but the HD2’s have many other redeeming factors.

This is actually a work-in-progress - to use the WAN connection that provides the best performance.

I believe a beta firmware is available for evaluation if you are interested. Please contact our support team at peplink.com/contact/support/ and we will get you a beta firmware for testing.

Hi Kurt,

Thanks to Johan in support I’ve tested BestWAN and look forward to it’s release. However I still have the open question regarding bonding. I’ve been testing between HD2s and OTGs to a Balance380 over the past month and the SpeedFusion bonding consistently provides lower throughput than without it. Any help or roadmap insight is appreciated.

Hi all,

last week we had a test with SpeedFusion at a German authority.

This was the Peplink Deployment:

• Peplink Balance 380 with Firmware 5.4.9
  • Pepwave MAX HD2 LTE-E with Firmware 6.0.3
  • Axis 214 PTZ IP-Camera behind the MAX HD2

The Peplink Balance 380 is behind a firewall (Draytek) and a 10MBit/s SDSL internet link. The Pepwave MAX HD2 LTE has one T-Mobile (3G) and one Vodafone (LTE) SIM-Card.

The camera send 15fps with MJPEG to a Milestone Enterprise video server. This is for real time video very important.

The bonded speed with SpeedFusion for the upload was 3 to 4 MBit/s from the Pepwave MAX HD2 to the Peplink Balance 380.

Here is the result:
The Milestone Enterprise video server has not even lost the connection to the camera behind the Pepwave MAX HD2 LTE. The video stream run smoothly. The Pepwave MAX HD2 has not even lost the connection to one of the UMTS/LTE-Links, although particularly the signal from T-Mobile was not good. The latency of the SpeedFuison VPN Tunnel was approximately 150ms and stable.

The German authority was very impressed from this result. This department of the German authority will carry out further tests in the coming weeks.

If you have any questions, I try to help.

Best Regards
Dietmar
ican GmbH

Bumping the thread, specifically asking anyone for examples where 4G bonding provided an overall higher throughput. Thanks

Thanks for info.