BR1 Pro 5G with SIM Injector

Hi Guys,

the BR1 Pro 5G doesn’t support the SIM Injector and the MAX Adapter. I’m wondering why a new and powerfull device doesn’t support all the magic Peplink features.
Is it possible to make it work with a new Firmware (SIM Injector)? This is a musthave inmho for a new device.
The MAX Adapter would also be nice

Thanks
Dennis

6 Likes

+1 here. We also don’t understand why it doesn’t support at least the sim injector. Also having the usb would be a great edition, but I know that’s probably a hw change.

3 Likes

+1

1 Like

+1

1 Like

+1

1 Like

@dennis.hofheinz What is your ideal install scenario that you would use sim injectors for?

1 Like

@Jonathan_Pitts, In one case the BR1 Pro 5G should be installed on a Boat. To keep the cables short, the device has to be on a possition you cant reach easy, so the Injector has to be on the inside of the boat to get the chance to change the SIM without beeing a mechanic.
Even for Busses and Trains it could be helpful. Everywhere where you cant reach the router easy.

Even if you use remote SIMs over the tunnel. Install a cheap SIM, build the tunnel up and connect to a remote hosted SIM injector - thats a dream.

Regards
Dennis

2 Likes

Yes same here, for hard to reach places. It makes sense.
As of now it doesn’t seem to support it.

1 Like

+1 Yes, please also allow SIM Injector to support the MAX Transit 5G. Our use case is also all about remotely locating the SIMs for easy access, while the MAX Transit 5G can be co-located very close to the antenna which is hard to get access to.

2 Likes

Any update on this? What is believed to be the device causing the problem? The Sim Injector or the BR1 Pro 5G, or both. The sim injector had a firmware update in March, but is very vague to what it addresses.

1 Like

Totally agree with the others. Almost seems ridiculous it doesn’t support the SIM injector

1 Like

+1

We would like to use BR1 Pro 5G in our buses in Europe where we have only one operator in one country. But our regular routes goes across 4 countries. For this reason we need only one 5G modem with more SIM slots. Is it possible that SIM injector will be supported for using with BR1 Pro 5G in the future?

1 Like

Hi Michael,

The upcoming BR2 Pro 5G will have SIM injector support. Would you consider that model?

Thanks,
Alex

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. Yes, of course but we need to know more information about it including the price. Can you write when it should be release?

Thank you
Michael Zelenka

1 Like

BR2 Pro is scheduled to launch within this month with a few hundred units available around end of June. The MSRP will be less than $3,000.

3 Likes

Thank you. Do you already have a datasheet? Can you send it me to e-mail?

The challenge for some of us is we have already purchased the BR1 Pro 5G. To buy a new BR2 so quickly is not in the budget at almost twice the price. When purchasing the BR1 I did not know that there would be no support for the SIM injector. At this point especially after 8.3.0 has come out, I assume this is not going to happen, but wanted to ensure there is no intent to update this product to include support for the SIM injector.

We are in the same boat - recently purchased the BR1 Pro 5G and definitely cannot justify buying a new device. We also had no idea that the SIM Injector wasn’t supported. I would hope to share a pool of SIMS across our B310X and BR1P5 to better manage full utilization of data capacity.

Lack of support for the Max Adapter also is an issue.

I thought I saw a post somewhere that both said there was BR1 support but not for HW1 - which is the current version.

We have 3x 5G and 1x LTE. I am planning to add an additional 5G shortly. As 2x of our 5G are on Max Adapters and the third is on the BR1P5, lack of support for the SI is a problem. I need any unit that has hit its data cap to be switched to a SIM with available capacity - i.e., the additional one that I plan to add. Without ability to do this, it causes our radios to run out of capacity about 2/3 through each month - cuts in to our ability to run SFP WAN Smoothing, which we require to maintain stable performance for people on Teams calls. What we can’t afford is (a) running out of data, which slows down the circuits substantially and increases latency; and (b) wasting unused capacity.

So, yes, this needs to be addressed.

By the way, the $3000 price of BR2 Pro 5G is 3x that of BR1 Pro 5G. Additionally its price is comparable to the 310X that is our core SD-WAN router. We need to be able to add data capacity at an affordable price. Increments of $3000 is not affordable. Being able to add multiple SIMs via a Mini at $500 is affordable. Keep in mind that each SIM has a $50-$100/month operating cost. Spending thousands on new hardware to support that isn’t a welcome position to be in.

1 Like

Is there any update on this?

1 Like