7.1 firmware not installing on Balance 210 HW3

I’ve tried both “check for firmware” method and manual method to install the new 7.1 firmware on my Balance 210 (hw3) using fw-b210_310_hw2_hw3-7.1.0-build3504.bin
It gets to 45% complete but reboots back to 7.0.2

Is there a known issue on this model for this firmware? Anyone else had success installing 7.1 on a Balance 210?

Hello @hasherati,
We have not had any issues upgrading to 7.1.0 with any of our customers Balance 210 (such as BPL-021) units, all of them have been done using InControl2 successfully, we have not attempted any via the update option from the router or via a manual upload method.
Have you attempted to upgrade the unit via InControl2?
Alternatively, download a fresh copy of the firmware again and try that, if the firmware has downloaded corruptted (which can happen very rarely), then the upgrade will fail. We had similar issue a while back with a a different model of router and found it was our copy of the firmware was damaged, easily fixed with a fresh download.
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

Thanks @mldowling. I just tried via InControl2 and looks like there is an error in the status column, “Data inconsistency”. Also attaching image. I’ve tried a number of times downloading the image and manual install but for all attempts, it reboots back to 7.0.2. Any thoughts?

This is weird, I would suggest you open a support ticket here for the team to take a closer look at the unit.

1 Like

Looking at this again today, I see that the device I’m trying to upgrade is listed as out of warranty and thus, marked as offline in the InControl2 portal. It is actually getting logs there which I can view so it is actually online. Does Peplink still allow users with devices not under warranty to download and install firmware 7.1 for Balance 210? When adding a device through InControl2 in order to manage the device, it says from http://www.peplink.com/incontrol-2-requirements/ that the following requirements must be met: “In-warranty or covered by InControl 2 Subscription”. It’s not in warranty, so I tried to buy an InControl2 subscription for my 210. But it doesn’t look like you sell separate InControl2 subscriptions for the 210. Doesn’t look like I can use InControl2 to install firmware on my 210 unless I buy an extended warranty, which I don’t want to do if you allow customers to do it manually. Please advise.

Yes, you can manually upgrade to firmware 7.1 via the device local Web Admin access.

If you have issue when upgrading the firmware, please open a support ticket for Support Team to take a closer look at it.

1 Like

Thanks @TK_Liew. Ticket #783342 submitted.