2 x AP One AC Mini's dropping connections

Hi

I have two AP One AC Mini’s. One on the main level of the house, and one on the 2nd level of the house. Both connected to Ethernet. Both have the same SSID, and settings. My MacBook Air is constantly losing Internet connection, I’m assuming when it’s switching between main level AP One AC Mini and the one upstairs. Anything can be done?

Is the Mac Book stationary or when it’s being moved it loses connectivity?

As far as seamless roaming goes it is up to the Mac when to make the switch (usually it will have a signal threshold in the device). In the AP’s you can set a Minimum signal threshold that may help with the transition but ultimately it will be up to the client device.

I would also check to make sure the channels that are being used are the least saturated. Should be able to check this with a wifi analyzer (iphone/andriod have a free wifi analyzer app).

For general web surfing, you should have no perceivable handoff between the two using a macbook. Though, it’s not clear if your issue is actually from roaming, or some other problem (like Jarid mentioned channel saturation). A few questions:

1. What is your beacon rate and interval set to on each AP?
  2. What are the channels set to for 2.4 and 5GHz?
  3. How many other APs does your macbook see?
  4. Are the APs set up in bridge or router mode?
  5. Do you have band steering enabled on both or any of the APs?

You can do some more research by holding option and then clicking on your airport icon at the top of the screen - this enables additional technical information about your connection that you don’t normally see. Try doing this periodically to see what your signal, noise, channel, BSSID, and data rate are. Here are some things to look for:

signal - numbers closer to zero are better
noise - numbers further from zero are better
channel - keep an eye to see if you are using 2.4 or 5GHz
BSSID - This is the MAC address of the AP you are using, the last few digits should change if you switch APs
data rate - generally influenced by signal and noise, keep an eye on where it seems to be