1 x 40G or 2 x 20G Marine Antenna

Hi Folks - About to order a Max Transit CAT18 for my boat. Would I be best pairing this with a single 40G or two 20G antennas? My boat is only 32ft so a little concerned about the height of a single 40g. Alternatively, is there a better option?

I would say that for simplicity you should go with a single antenna unit per modem. For simplicity.

Do you ever envision using WiFi-WAN? Then 42G or similar would likely work better in those situations if your Max Transit is below deck.

I am using 2 Panorama Mako antennas with my cat18 devices. So far they have been great.

I’d look at the polarization on the 42g, might not be suitable for a boat.

it would be awesome for their to be a 14x1 marine antenna that has the 4 cellular leads, 1 gps lead, and mimo wifi leads. until then you might need to source a separate antenna for wifi WAN. poynting makes some options.

is there a way to combine the four antenna leads at the peplink unit into say one lmr400 cable and then split out to four wires closer to where the antenna is mounted?

WiFi-WAN would be nice, but not essential. I was originally thinking about a 42G as it would fit better on my roof, but was told it is not ideal for boats and more suitable for land based applications.

I have tested the 40G & 42G in marine applications (I have three 42Gs aboard now, and two 40Gs) and they are good. They’re not as good as the Poynting line in terms of the higher bands, but they have superior performance, particularly the 42G, in the lower bands, which are very prevalent here on the West Coast of the US and Canada.

I’m still waiting for my orders of the 20G and 40G to be able to do some real world testing, but on paper they should outperform the Poynting antennas (my favorite ones which I’ve recommended many times for the last 3 years) and the 42G as well. In these situations, size does matter…

My only concern with the 40G is size and aesthetics. I will mock up a model to see how it will fit. Fallback plan will be the 42G dome.

Really appreciate your help.

Your write-up on seabits.com is also very helpful!