PepWave Max Transit Duo - Need Help!

I am new to this unit but having some major issues trying to stream 720p video to youtube. I have a healthy Verizon connection and an okay ATT connection but they are not giving me enough upload speed to maintain healthy stream. I have speedfusion up but am I missing anything?

Help?

If your upload going over SpeedFusion Cloud? Did you click the Connect Clients to Cloud button and set your streaming device to use it?
image.png

If so, if you go to Status > SpeedFusion and click the graph button to show live speedfusion WAN statistics what do you see?

Hi Martin, definitely have the computer connected to the Clients to Cloud. I am just baffled that this unit is giving me less bandwidth than my NetGear Nighthawk unit was with one sim card.

Here’s my speed fusion:

Cellular 2 is showing 483ms of latency in that last shot compared to 71ms on Cellular 1. Smells like bufferbloat on cell2. Enabled Dynamic weighted bonding and see if that helps.
https://forum.peplink.com/t/fw-8-1-0-rc4-how-to-enable-the-dynamic-weighted-bonding-algorithm

Is this under the Cellular → Details tab? I can’t find that function.

Never mind, found it. Let’s see if that helps – thank you.

1 Like

Martin, that didn’t help much. Does peplink have customer support? I am lost here.

If you turn off SpeedFusion Cloud and enable only one cellular modem at a time, what sorts of speedtest.net up/down do you get on each modem/SIM?

What data plan do you have for ATT & VZW?

What bands are ATT & VZW connecting on? Its almost near certainty that there are more than those 2 bands ‘visible’ off of those towers. Modern towers in the most moderately dense areas (like in southern CA) are capable of aggregating 3-4bands, which the Nighthawk is capable of. Your Max Transit Duo is only going to aggregate 2bands per cellular provider. Simply put, your device is not “tapped in to” all of the available bandwidth on your towers. If this is the scenario you could try selectively disabling specific bands (like 700mhz) and testing various band configurations to see if one particular band-combo results in more bandwidth. In my experience if your ATT tower has band 30 available, shoot for that because its got lots of bandwidth behind it. In any case these types of hard-coding can bring on their own issues as bands change or become over-saturated, what was fast today may be overloaded tomorrow.

As you said a single device capable of aggregating all available bands on a tower can/does often achieve greater speed for a single session compared with Transit Duo. However the dual-carrier Transit Duo may have better reliability with dual-carrier/multiple-paths.

My gut tells me the only real way to overcome this issue is to have 2x CAT18 modems which would fully utilize all of the available bands (bandwidth) of those two towers your currently connected to.

Eric thanks for your feedback.

1. I don’t know hot to disable SpeedFusion Cloud.

2. AT&T Unlimited Data.

3. Verizon; 100Gig highspeed.

4. AT&T Cellular 1:
    Custom…
    LTE (Band 1)
    LTE (Band 2)
    LTE (Band 3)
    LTE (Band 4)
    LTE (Band 5)
    LTE (Band 7)
    LTE (Band 8)
    LTE (Band 9)
    LTE (Band 12)
    LTE (Band 13)
    LTE (Band 14)
    LTE (Band 18)
    LTE (Band 19)
    LTE (Band 20)
    LTE (Band 26)
    LTE (Band 29)
    LTE (Band 30)
    LTE (Band 32)
    LTE (Band 41)
    LTE (Band 42)
    LTE (Band 43)
    LTE (Band 46)
    LTE (Band 48)
    LTE (Band 66)
    WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA / HSPA+ (800 MHz)
    WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA / HSPA+ (850 MHz)
    WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA / HSPA+ (850 MHz/JP)
    WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA / HSPA+ (900 MHz)
    WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA / HSPA+ (1700 MHz)
    WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA / HSPA+ (1700 MHz/JP)
    WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA / HSPA+ (1900 MHz)
    WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA / HSPA+ (2100 MHz)

Verizon Cellular 2:
Custom…
LTE (Band 2)
LTE (Band 4)
LTE (Band 5)
LTE (Band 13)
LTE (Band 66)
WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA / HSPA+ (800 MHz)
WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA / HSPA+ (850 MHz)
WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA / HSPA+ (850 MHz/JP)
WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA / HSPA+ (900 MHz)
WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA / HSPA+ (1700 MHz)
WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA / HSPA+ (1700 MHz/JP)
WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA / HSPA+ (1900 MHz)
WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA / HSPA+ (2100 MHz)

2x CAT18 Modem, huh? I think the one I have is the CAT12.

You could disable Speedfusion cloud for your test client by navigating to the screen mentioned above and hitting the RED X. That would cause your imac to use whatever is the default policy.

Secondly you could test each modem independently by disabling one cellular at a time or just removing one SIM at a time.

The other band detail I was asking about can be found by clicking the “details” button next to each cellular modem.

Try eliminating Band 12/17 for ATT and Band 13 for Verizon - then reconnect. They are always over-saturated and almost always drag down an aggregated connection. Please report findings. Thanks.

Joel,

Verizon - deselecting band 13 had negative effects on my speeds: went from 34 down and 15 up to 14 down and 0.10 up.

ATT - stayed around the same with bands selected or deselected.

What I am not understanding is how is carrier aggregation not working?

When I test Verizon alone, I’m getting wonderful speeds. When I test ATT much slower speeds. When I test both of them, Verizon suffers catastrophically – when I thought this was supposed to increase speeds?

Where are you physically located? I assume LAX is closest location to you? I would suggest trying San Jose and/or San Francisco location and see if it yields any different results.