Peplink Static route configuration on WAN to connect to a remote Branch

Hello Team,

I’m having a challenge, i need to be able to configure a static route on a peplink balance 580 to be able to reach a remote subnet at a branch office over the WAN link.

Please advise on how i can do it, the only option i’m seeing for a static route configuration is under the LAN settings which does not apply to this situation. please assist.

If you need to make sure a specific destination network is sent via a specific WAN link you just need to us an outbound policy.

I need to reach a specific destination branch network through a specific wan interface, how can I achieve that at a routing level “static routing”, ?

Did you actually read what I wrote…?

If the destination network is behind a WAN interface you use an outbound policy. When you configure an outbound policy it will put a static route in the Peplink for the destination subnet with the next hop configured as the WAN interface you configure the rule against.

If that is not clear enough then could you share some more information, like a topology diagram and source/destination subnets on each side?

Just bear in mind that in most cases anything configured as a WAN interface on the Peplink will perform source NAT on traffic passing through it. Depending on the rest of your setup you may need to configure the WAN for IP forwarding and then do additional config to NAT devices from the LAN side to the WAN IP as necessary.

Again, a topology diagram would help here, as it may be a better idea to configure a LAN interface to use for routing to your branch network via a link net (if this is via some other existing connectivity between the sites that may be the better approach anyway, at which point static routing would work just fine).

1 Like

Thanks willJones, this solution really helped me.

I have another challenge,

I am not able to do link failover between HQ and the branches, please see below diagram to see how my setup is and how i done the configuration.
If i remove one isp link, communication breaks, it cannot failover to the active link.
Please advise on how i can configure this so that if one link fails, the other continues to send through traffic
image.png

Thanks

On the Peplink side change the outbound policy type from enforced to priority, use a single rule and set the failover order on that rule, you could add some health checks to the Peplink WANs to check that the far end is still alive i.e. on WAN1 ping 10.50.50.2, on WAN2 ping 10.10.20.2.

On the Cisco side depending on what the routing platform is if it were me I would be using IPSLA and a basic EEM script to monitor the reachability of the Peplink WAN IPs and then add/remove static routes as required.

If it were Cisco on both ends I’d frankly just also turn up BGP between both sites and run both likes active and let it do ECMP routing - you could probably make that work with the Peplink but I’ve never tried… maybe someone else here has (@MartinLangmaid ?) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, help me share the screenshots on how to configure the below.

1. On the Peplink side change the outbound policy type from enforced to priority, use a single rule and set the failover order on that rule,
  2. you could add some health checks to the Peplink WANs to check that the far end is still alive i.e. on WAN1 ping 10.50.50.2, on WAN2 ping 10.10.20.2.

Also please advise, if i change the outbound policy from enforced to priority, will i still be able to reach the destination network just the way it happens when i use enforced ? (will static routing to the destination network via WAN continue to work ?

And should i set the priority WAN interface settings to alway on ?

Please advise, much appreciation.

Perhaps instead of me just telling you have a go for yourself, the Peplink GUI is pretty straightforward and all of the options you need are there and that way you will learn how the product is working and what options are available for you to use.

These articles are probably worth reading:

Personally I would leave it to always on, and then use outbound policies to control how traffic uses the connections, this assumes that there is not some great difference in the performance or cost of using those WANs though - for instance if one was linked via cellular or satellite with a high price for data transfer I would maybe not - you need to make your own determination here about what is the most appropriate setting for your environment.

1 Like