Max Transit Duo - Speedfusion Bonding - SRT Listener mode setup woes

Let me preface this post and information request by pre-qualifying that I am at the beginning of this networking journey with this platform.

My background is video production, not networking, but I am keen to learn. I do use an NDI workflow for livestreaming so there is some basic knowledge.

I purchased a Max Transit Duo as a back-up device for live streaming in the event that my LiveU Solo faults. I have two 4G sims and when available I can plug in ethernet to the WAN.

I have set up Speedfusion bonding for the device, and this is working for normal internet access on the production computer, however I am now in a situation where I would like to use the MAXtDUO connected to my computer using vMix production software to bring in a video stream via SRT. I have setup the vMix input on a designated port 5001 on listener mode as per instructions (this works fine on my normal studio internet connection - single ethernet, no bonding) however where I get stuck is understanding the concept of how to setup the MAXtDUO port forwarding on the bonded signal. The normal process is to obtain the public IP and attach the port and all works, however this is not the case with the MAXtDUO.
My limited understanding is that I need to setup the port forwarding on the server where the two 4g sims that are being bonded.
Unfortunately the support through the distributor from which I purchased is largely un-supportive so am a bit stuck. I do know a network guy that can help me but his initial attempts were unsuccessful, so I know for a lot of you this will seem basic, all I would suggest is that at some point we all have to start with limited knowledge and i would ask you cast your mind back to those early times when you consider your reply.

Hi Darren.
There are loads of people on here using the Transit Duo for streaming so you’re in good company.

How did you setup SpeedFusion Bonding? I suspect via SpeedFusion Cloud? If so inbound port forwarded traffic to your Duo over SpeedFusion cloud bonding won’t work like you’ll need it to.

Instead you’ll need to use a hosted Fusionhub server (the free license will be fine). You can either host that yourself or a partner can do it for you.

Where in the world are you?

The first question would be why does the remote Vmix need to be the listener?..

Usually these sort of architectures have a central studio or stream accepter, and the remote LTE locations connect into that central studio for processing.

It seems that you are working on a remote studio, where you want to source some other video for processing on a remote workstation.

So, you can either have a central hub, that both the remote video source and the Vmix console connect to… or you will have to create a system that allows your remote network to have a fixed presence on the internet.

You are using SpeedFusion Cloud right now to test… that is an outbound only service…

For an inbound architecture you need to run your own FusionHub.

Martin has written some guides on how to run that on Vultr ($5/month) and others have AWS and Azure guides.

You can search for various FusionHub configurations, and quite complex networking is possible.
This then gives you a fixed IP on the internet, that you can forward to your port 5001 to the IP address of the VMix console. The port forwarding has to happen on the FusionHub. where you have a fixed IP… which is why you can’t do that on the Duo… the LTE and speed fusion Cloud parts of the DUO do not have fixed IP addresses.

1 Like

SRT in “listener” mode is basically the RX side with a known IP:Port for the “caller” to connect into. The listener is almost always configured on the studio / MCR side and the caller is the remote participant.

Yep, that is the right idea, and as others have already said if you’re using SpeedFusion Cloud then don’t as at the moment there is no way to forward ports into your internal network.

Instead build your own FusionHub (Paul linked some good guides), you then do all the port forwarding configuration on the FusionHub and just ensure there is ideally no NAT configured on the PepVPN tunnel between the hub and your TST. When you configure the port forwarding rules on the FusionHub the “server IP” is your vMix machine behind the TST duo.

Thanks Martin

i appreciate you taking the time to reply - yes I have setup using Speedfusion Cloud - I will look into setting up fusionhub- am located in Australia.
Cheers

Thanks Paul

thank for for sharing those links - will get onto setting up an instance of fusionhub

cheers

Thank you William

Again thank you for your detailed reply - I know what I need to do now. Fingers crossed I can work it out :slightly_smiling_face:
Cheers

All good - thank you everyone for your comments and guidance, successfully installed FusionHub and PepVPN between the two and SRT is now working as expected. Will have to tweak settings with further testing.

Kind regards
Darren

1 Like