MAX BR1 Mini: always-on VPN connection to home network?

I have a Pepwave MAX BR1 Mini connected via a T-Mobile prepaid SIM. I want to use it to access some remote monitoring equipment. But because my WAN connection uses carrier-grade NAT, I can’t use standard port forwarding.

I see the MAX has built-in support for IPSEC VPN. If I set up a VPN server at home, say on a Raspberry Pi, will I be able to configure the MAX to keep an always-on connection with my home network? Then I could use the same VPN tunnel to remote in from anywhere.

While we’re at it, I understand PepVPN is supposed to be very easy to configure, but I’m not sure if it would be worth buying another device just for this setup. Even if I did, would I be able to use it in this setup without replacing my existing home router?

@Nick_Bair, If you setup a FusionHub on Vultr for roughly $5/month, you can setup remote access on a cloud server connected over Speedfusion to access those devices behind the BR1.

Here is another thread asking about similar scenario of accessing the LAN from public internet.

https://forum.peplink.com/t/accesing-lan-on-pepwave-from-public-internet

@Martin_Langmaid, has made a video and linked it in the thread to show how easy it is to setup.

1 Like

This seems perfect! That was a very helpful video. I was able to set up a FusionHub instance and connect it to my BR1, which is currently at home, since I already had added it to InControl.

Tomorrow I’ll have a chance to connect my monitoring equipment for testing and hopefully figure out all the firewall settings I’ll need to access the web interface.