Exclude intranet hops from latency and fastest response tests for outbound policies

Per my bug report (ticket 9070155) it was recommended I post the situation to the feature request site here. I’ll repeat my post from the bug report below. The moral of the issue is that latency tests and fastest response tests for outbound rule handling appear to be flawed by not excluding internal network hops so that hops between Pepwave devices are always winning as the fastest response when only external/internet traffic should be measured.

Per my bug report (ticket 9070155) it was recommended I post the situation to the feature request site here. I’ll repeat my post from the bug report below. The moral of the issue is that latency tests and fastest response tests for outbound rule handling appear to be flawed by not excluding internal network hops so that hops between Pepwave devices are always winning as the fastest response when only external/internet traffic should be measured.

Hello. I use two Pepwave routers, a BR1 MK2 and a BR1 MINI in my RV. Essentially each have one cellular SIM in it so I can have two active carriers at all times. I’ll call the BR1 MK2 “Router1” and the BR1 MINI “Router2”. I have Router2 connected to Router1 via Router2’s LAN port to Router1’s WAN port, i.e. they are connected by Ethernet. I use the LAN port from Router1 to feed to a WiFi system (Orbi Mesh) on my RV so I manage all WAN sources from Router1. In Router1 Priority 1 slot I have the cellular wan connection from the sim in Router1 and also Router1’s WAN source which is Router2. So I have both cellular carriers active now as they are both in Priority 1 per this method.

The problem I am seeing is no matter which outbound rule I use such as Default (auto), or my own using Fastest Response or Lowest Latency, Router2 is ALWAYS the WAN source that wins. No matter which carrier or any condition, Router2 always wins the fastest response / lowest latency speed test to win the traffic.

It is my believe that maybe there is a tracert or some system along this line that is measuring the hops to the external web source being tested and since Router1 to Router2 is essentially 0ms as it’s an ethernet connection, this is causing Router2 to always win the fastest connectivity. I suggest if this is the case that the first hop be thrown out of the calculation as obviously this is not testing the two devices getting to the same end result fairly and therefore causing the traffic to not necessarily being routed through the best path. I am running the latest firmware (8.0.0) on both Pepwave units.

i think its a bug with the algorithm… see my other post minutes ago on a similar issue…

@NealC & @mystery

This is not the expected behavior that lowest latency should refer to second or third hop for the route paths while faster response performs the check at the start of each session. Detail info, you can check the forum post :slight_smile:

Look like this is not applicable for your problem. I may need to further check from you device to confirm the influences.

1 Like