Br1 Pro 5G after upgrade to 8.3 issue Cellular not optaining an IP

I updated a BR1 Pro 5G from 8.2.1 to 8.3. The Device has a German Vodafone sim but is permanently deployed in the Netherlands atm. So Roaming might play a role.
After the Update , the device did not manage to connect using the cellular interface anymore, asking again for the presaved PIN. Resaving the pin does not help but the message disappeared.
Rebooting to the 8.2.1 firmware immediately solved the issue.

Is this issue known?

Hi Mervyn,

yes, this is a known issue. Please try this special build FW for BR1 Pro 5G and check if it helps.

If it doesn’t then please open a support ticket.

1 Like

@Giedrius, is there additional information you can share on the special build and what it addresses? This would help others in determining if they would also benefit from loading this special build. For instance, is the issue isolated to specific models, modems, or cell providers, or maybe it only applies if a SIM PIN is being used. Any additional information would be wonderful and greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Hi Topher,

I will need to double check with the team and will get back later which routers are affect by this issue.

Hi @Giedrius. @Topher’s question is really quite salient. Peplink (to its credit!) often builds “s” versions of FW to address issues raised by partners and owners. We think the “s” code often finds its way into the next GA FW release. Good! But, we rarely know what changed and there is often no knowledge of the availability of this FW. We strongly suspect that if partners were to have more information about the “fixes” that would solve issues that confront us as well. And, importantly, we often do not raise these issues for attention.
Example: Within the last year Peplink’s engineers built us a “s” version of AP FW to address a wacky problem one of our customers was experiencing. It helped. But we did not see that version released and there was no discussion about it in the Forum. Subsequently, we ran into a similar issue with other of the new “AX” APs. We checked the Peplink web site and no newer version was found. Failing that we checked our back-ups and located the “s” version we had been given and subsequently erased after use. We restored it and uploaded it to the AX APs. Magic – things got better. Would others have been helped by this FW?

So, to expand a bit on Topher’s point: Would Peplink inform partners about the existence of “s” versions and what they are meant to address?

Hi Rick, Topher, Mervyn

firstly on my rush I gave not the right FW image. And here is the one which addresses roaming for the BR1 Pro 5G and other Peplink routers which have Wi-Fi 6 (e.g. Transit Pro, BR2 Pro, HD Dome Pro, etc).

I need to double check with the team which routers are affected. From the description it seems it is not cellular modem related. It is about internal cellular configuration files for the system.

Next about special builds and making them public. I need to check with the team why we do make it open. Can not answer now as I do not know. I suppose there is a reason behind.

I applied this build hoping it would solve an ATT SIM that after a short time of connecting goes into a ‘resetting’ then ‘connecting’ death loop. No luck.

The SIM is in a BR1 Pro 5G that is a slave in Synergy mode with another BR1 Pro 5G. The same SIM works fine in the master BR1 Pro 5G and in the slave BR1, when not in Synergy mode. It must have to do with the 8.3.0x software… thoughts?

@The_Elliotts, hmm… that is strange that the special build doesn’t solve your problem.

Would you mind submitting a ticket here for us to take a closer look at your setup?

Do let me know the ticket number once you have it.

Also, if possible, please enable Remote Assistance on the device as well, so we can start checking the device immediately.

Hi Rick,

we do our best to react as fast as possible and this is the purpose of special build FW to address the issues as soon as possible so that clients do not need to wait for the next official FW release. In case there are critical issues, we make service release to address them. Here we need to balance as every release requires resources and we need to choose: focus on making a release or focus on new feature development and bug fixing.
Next, we can not male all the special builds public as some builds are experimental changes or in some cases we sacrifice coding quality over speed or there are other things. So we prefer to make all things right and make a proper FW service release. It is simply more efficient.

Ticket created and remote assistance enabled. Thnx!

Hi, @Giedrius
i have the same issue with my Transit DUO do you have also a special Firmware for this device?

Regards

@Martin_Knapp please create a support ticket to the team to double check what issues you are facing. It will be a more safe way rather then trying for me to blindly make a guess :wink:

@Giedrius ok its done Peplink #23070418

Regards

OK thanks, engineering team will follow up.