bonded network much slower than any of my single sources

I’d be interested in how to optimize a bonded connection as well. I’m using fusion hub. Not sure how to answer the “how are you bonding” question. I just use incontrol’s config to set the priority.

What settings should be used to get the most speed out of bonded connections?

I have an interesting situation. I just setup bonding with 2 VZW wireless links, each doing 80M individually. When I tested the bonding, it was still running 80M. When I did some further testing, I found out that when both links were running at the same time, Verizon cut each links speed in half. So… TWO 80M links going to the same carrier, wound up being ONE 80M bonded link.

assuming all your WAN links are set to same priority, if I recall there is a 19% overhead cost off the top for a bonded tunnel.

Add encryption, FEC or WAN smoothing the bandwidth drops. WAN smoothing is the costliest. ,

I’m not able to get bonded connections to show an improvement in download speed. My details are below.

image.png

image.png

There must be a way to get bonding to actually improve speed. My guess is that my settings are resulting in bonding, but they appear to be load balancing instead of aggregating the connections. Any ideas?

Have you read through this…

Thanks for the link. I read through the post. Hard to know if the issues in that thread are the same as the issues I’m experiencing. However, it did give me some things to try.

Please keep us posted!

Absolutely will. I’m traveling cross country so it may take a few days to get some test completed, but I will report back.

@paulbfelix ,

If you have time, please create a ticket for support team to check on it as well. In some cases, to get the most bandwidth, we may need to fine tune some of the bonding criteria based on the WAN characteristics. Support team may able to help to check on the WAN characteristics and advice accordingly.

1 Like

Absolutely will.

Ticket Submitted. I’ll post here with findings. Note that I use fusionhub, not speedfusion because I need a static IP.

Ticket #22050656

Still working on this with Mobile Must Have & Peplink. No progress yet.

We’ve been bonding cellular signal for over a year on our Duo for VOIP calls (and only VOIP calls), and view it as something we do to make the connection safer vs faster. I find it’s usually ~70-80% of the bandwidth of my best single connection, which is fine for our use case - having WAN smoothing and fallback in case a single carrier loses signal is worth it as we don’t need the bandwidth and generally the extra latency isn’t too bad.

FWIW I haven’t had a lot of luck with MMH support and am going to buy my primecare license elsewhere to change my first level support provider.

1 Like

What hardware are you using?

And have you tried Dynamic Weighted Bonding? With Cellular connections it’s able to get better speeds. Keep in mind Cellular connections are prone to packetloss, especially in USA, so you might need to finetune the settings of the DWB algorithm.

Also, have you tested the speed with the built in SpeedFusion testing tools? Speedtest.net tests might be too short to accurately test the whole throughput.

Hi @padaco-daniel

Hardware - Max Transit Duo
DMO - Yes. I’ve tried this.
SpeedFusion testing tool - No. I didn’t know there was a speed test tool. Can you point me to this? Not that I’m using FusionHub.

Thank you,
Paul

Log a ticket and let Peplink engineering help tune your SF settings.

Hi Paul. I think I may be able to help. Go to Status → SpeedFusion. Then check where I’ve shown below.

Another box will open where you can set the parameters you want to use for the test.

• Rick

Thanks. I’ll check this out.

Ticket is open. Peplink sent it to Mobile Must Have. Mobile Must Have has sent it back to Peplink. Ticket was opened on 5/15.

I’m going to continue pushing for a resolution with support. So far, I have learned that bonding has many limitations. However, even considering the limitations (ideal scenario) I’m not seeing bonding benefits.

@sitloongs seems this ticket needs some love? Anything you can do to help?