Balance 20 "IP address has changed"

I’m running a Balance 20 with Starlink on WAN1 and a Spectrum cable modem on WAN2. It generally works very well except for a few circumstances.

When I try to log into my websites’ CPanel control panel, it almost always kicks me off right after login saying my IP address has changed.

Also, if I try to upload to my web server via FTP, that almost always fails.

Both of the above problems disappear if I disable either WAN1 or WAN2. Once this is done, I can get access to the website control panels and do FTP transfers. Afterward, I re-enable both WAN inputs. Is it possible that with both WAN ports active, the connections to these websites are somehow split between both WANs, causing the other end to see two different IP addresses?

Hi @Thomas_Hudson . It’s absolutely possible as that’s probably what you have instructed your router to do via outbound policy. It’s likely load balancing and alternating outbound connections between your two WANs – the default behavior.

You may want to take a look at your firmware manual for a discussion of the various policies available. Here was one place, among many, where the topic has been discussed here on on the Forum.

You are essentially implementing an “enforced” outbound policy when you unplug one of your WANs. I might suggest you try something like the following example. In this rule all traffic headed to mywebsite.com will use Comcast if it is healthy and if not, will be directed to the 5G Max Adapter with a TMO SIM installed.

It’s worth “getting to know” outbound policies as this is a really powerful feature of Peplink routers. One final note: The rules are interpreted “top down” so as soon as one rule “fires,” or its conditions are met, the ones which follow are ignored.

Final gratuitous comment: The Balance 20 router is a good product but it likely cannot handle the throughput your WANs offer. It may be time for something a bit faster. ;<)

1 Like