40KM Singlemode Transceiver support on Peplink devices

Hello,

I like to enquire if anyone out there have done any Peplink deployment for network environments like expressways, utilizing Peplink Speedfusion to failover from dark fiber to Internet broadband.

However, the problem here is that due to the distance of some expressways, the fiber might be more than 10km in length, so probably have to use 20/40km transceivers.

Does Peplink able to support long-distance transceivers?

Send me a PM and we can look at the specifics for your project. We are a peplink partner and can help you spec it out.

If it was me I would likely use media convertors then you could use any Peplink router.
Failover between private dark fiber and public Internet (5G / Starlink / Fiber) or bonding all available links would be possible.

Really depends on what you want to achieve. I’d suggest you speak to a local Peplink partner to help spec it out and support your initial deployment.

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

I have been selling Peplink for some time but its the first time encountering this scenario.

Appreciate it.

Hi MartinLangmaid,

Yea, I agree on the use of media converters, but this adds to another point of failure in the network (though a media converter does not cost much).

Since there is SFP port on Peplink devices, like the B310 5G, perhaps the idea of utilizing it for such scenarios of dark fiber failover to public Internet might be feasible.

Cheers! No problem, I’d suggest reviewing What SFP+ Modules have been Tested with the Peplink Balance 2500? and work with some of the brands listed on the top. Let us know how the project goes. Martin suggested going with optical coverters, and I have done that as needed, but my preference is to know the link is from the transceiver itself.
What model router do you plan on deploying? Where in the world is the project? Sounds interesting!

Yea, I have seen this article but it only mentions on SR/LR which typically covers distances of up to 10km for singlemode. Doesnt really mention about 40km :frowning:

I am thinking of using B310 5G or B310 Fiber 5G, which I can use SF to bond both fiber and public Internet, create a L2 VPN back to main expressway office for both Internet gateway and toll collection system.